Monday, September 14, 2009

España. First journal.

So, I have such a long story to tell but not near enough time to tell it. I must condense. My journey to Spain started in the airport in Jacksonville. From there to Charlotte, NC, then Munich, Germany. The airport in Germany was massive. And the people very nice (many english speakers, to my advantage). That flight was 8 1/2 hours. The two meals were pretty decent considering it was airline food. But the plane was very nice, humongous to say the least. Sat by a guy from Bulgaria who had lived in Dallas, TX for 10 years. Weautifule swapped stories. Then, when we landed in Madrid, I had a 3 hour layover and slept for most of the time. Madrid was chaotic, but beautifully so. I finally got a window seat on my flight from Madrid to beloved Alicante, so I was able to see my new country and all of it´s glory. Much of Spain is dry and has scattered mountainous terrain. Then upon reaching Alicante, I saw many a Spainish-style roof like in CSI Miami (haha tourist perspective i know, i know). The feeling of finally being in my new city was fabulous, and scary. But far more positive than anything else. It took a little extra time to get ahold of my luggage once in the small Alicant aeropuerto, due to the fact that it went through 5 airports total. But, once I got my two 40-something-pound-bags, I turned the corner, walked down the ramp, and saw my host mother for the first time. I had never actually seen Carmen in picture or anything, yet I knew it was her somehow. Must have been her big smile. I did recognize Marta, my host sister, moments later and following I saw Manolo, my host father.
Well, quickly I found out that generally Europeans drive very small cars and manage their automobiles in a quick and somewhat dangerous fashion. They drive fast. Corners and speed bumps are regarded as just another straight-away, I think. And horns are honked regularly. Sometimes I think only to say hello, as I don´t notice anything to honk at. But, yet another mystery of the Spanish.
My first visit a la playa was great. We did not go to the beach in the heat of the day but rather at 5 in the evening. Marta and I met up with the two other exchange students (like me) to Spain, Anna and Will. The relief I felt upon meeting them was fenomenal. "You speak english?" "Oh thank God!" Yeah, it went something like that. The beach is encredible here, along the coast you can see the mountains and majestic skyscape of Alicante. And the Mediterranean is the prettiest color of blue. Interesting, however, are the amount of topless sun-bathers. One woman casually approached the group and asked if any of us had a light. It was quite awkward for a moment, but I have come to accept things that before were "strange" to me. Now they are simply things that are "new" or "different" and are a part of people´s lives. I am now the stranger, working to adapt to the norm of Alicante.
Well, more to come later, Madrid and more about my host family.
Love to all. Thanks for all of the support.
Mariah (Maria en España)

2 comments:

  1. Maria,
    !Hola! I am so excited and jealous of you. The way you describe it, it sounds like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, when the girl goes to Madrid. Sounds so beautiful. The language would be the scariest but you will get it eventually. I'm glad you have a blog so I can be a little part of the journey you are on. I am praying for you and love you, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariah- Sounds like your expieriencing so many things. Do it while you have the chance. Your lucky & have worked hard to get there. Sounds like beach life is nice there!!! I pray for you and cant wait to see some pix!
    Love Ya-Liz

    ReplyDelete