Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thank goodness for humor.

So, yesterday after almuerzo, my host sister Marta asked me if I wanted any postre, or dessert. And I replied in lovely Spanish that I wanted "mantequilla". Well, that's not actually the correct word for the cupcake-like dessert. I the word I said was butter. So, for dessert, I wanted butter. Marta will not let me forget it and I also enjoy the laughs it brings.
And now, another language misunderstanding.. My host father made a statement last night and I asked him to repeat it. He was inquiring if I was "constipado". From the sound of it, I assumed it meant constipated, as the two words sound very similar. But in actuality, the word means to have a cold. He was worried that I was coming down with an illness, and not prodding my private bowel issues. At first I was slightly embarrassed by his remark about me, then after Marta said that he meant "ill", I had to laugh at myself. I quickly looked up the word and read the full definition. It had nothing to do with the "constipation" I know. Rather, nasal or respiratory congestion..
Okay, I feel better now. Had to share my funny moments with others.
And as far as humiliation or embarrassment;
no pasa nada.
:)
Mariah

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Mariah:) How awesome, that you get to do this? Soak it all in. Sometimes we Mom's have to live vicariously through other, I enjoy reading your posts.

    Meagen

    ReplyDelete