Saturday, September 19, 2009

Week two.

There are some things I consider funny or interesting which I would now like to point out regarding my stay in Spain thus far.
-First, in my house here, there is so bathtub. We have three bathrooms and only showers inside. I find this very interesting, I think it has to do with water conservation.
-Also, the hot water only lasts about five minutes. Yet another conservation scheme? Possibly.
-The luxury of having a drink with ice very seldom occurs here. I believe I´ve had maybe two drinks total that had ice in them since I have been here, and both had but one cube in each.
-It only rains in September and October, the rest of the year is extremely dry. This past week this part of Spain has gotten so much rain, I think it surpassed some record. I feel like I brought the Florida rains with me, most definitely.
-Today I had a lovely dinner consisting of broiled fish and steamed shrimp, both with their heads still remaining. Quite common here, but for me, something to get used to..
-The other night I was eating dinner with Marta and my host mom Carmen and we were talking about laundry and then suddenly went to the question: "isn´t that a bad word?". I had said "sheet". Very funny moment. It is difficult to explain how absolutely funny it was, but this might help: they had me say both "shit" and "sheet" to help them understand the differences between the two. Such a good night; I do appreciate the funny moments, oh so much.
-I never realized how incredibly fast the Spanish speak. And read. And eat. I am a turtle compared to these marvelous people.
-At my school, and other public bathrooms, the toilet paper is either: not in the stalls OR entire bathroom, or located outside of the stalls, where one must get some paper BEFORE they go in and lock the door. Thankfully I had some napkins in my purse when I almost learned the hard way. Sometimes, I find that things here are far more convenient. Other times, not so much..

Ah, something I am in love with here: the beach. In Florida, the sand is usually nice, the water is okay, and the sky has nice colors, sure. But here, the Mediterranean has so many different hues of blue and green that are breathtaking. And the water is so very clear, and cold and amazing. Also, the view. The mountains line the beach in the distance, and after seeing the beauty of the water, the sky scape will just about make you faint. I really ought to post some pictures soon. Although they cannot and will not do it any justice. The beauty is something I´ve never witnessed before. Majestic, phenomenal, words really cannot describe.. sorry I know it is yet very difficult to imagine, so I shall very soon put up a nice photo.
Another thing I want to blog about, my friendship with Anna. Anna and I talked for a good two hours at the beach today (one has so much to talk about after hearing and attempting to speak español for almost 2 weeks!) and we totally vented and compared feelings thus far. It is so nice to know that there is someone else who is experiencing similar feelings and similar circumstances. As we walked the beach, trying not to gawk at the numerous topless women, we shared stories and talked about the great adventure we are just starting. I am so blessed to have her, as she lives only 5 minutes walk from my house (and her house is just feet from the beach!).
Now, my favorite, the food. I eat so much seafood, salad, and bread here, I love it! Also, fresh fruits and vegetables are plentiful. I just love how they always keep the fridge stocked! No wonder everyone here is so slim, everyone walks EVERYWHERE and the food is SO organic and obviouslthy. Everything is cooked with e.v.o.o, bread and salad with every meal, the only thing I ever drink with meals is water. And milk with dessert, sometimes.
Well, all of the sudden I am preoccupied with chat alerts, so, adiós..
maria en españa :)

2 comments:

  1. ELI:
    suhweet! sounds like your having a ballin time lol. that was probly inapropriate. i apologize. have fun. i want to go to another country. im proud of you! i really wasnt sure if you had it in you. but i was wrong, and im glad! well its like super late. Have the best time of your life! i love you sister! i really just said that out loud in a corny country accent and if you were here you would be busting up laughing and prolby snort like a pig but it would great lol. i love you(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had the opportunity to go to Europe I remember how much I missed ice in my drinks too. It makes you appreciate the little things. The story about the sheets cracked me up because I have a sweet Aunt with her spanish accent that always calls her sheets, "shits" and I laugh everytime I think of her. So glad you had this experience, good for you for having the courage to do it!
    Ada "Neikens"

    ReplyDelete