Sunday, September 27, 2009

Well, it´s the 27th of September, and another day for learning. I love how every single day I notice something new, face a new challenge, and learn more and more about this place. Meanwhile I am learning more about myself. I know I am changing, but only for good. I am growing.
I have only been here for 16 days or so, but I feel like it has been longer. Yes, it is sill very difficult to communicate with people here. I do have a handful of friends who speak English, but that´s not something I must look for as a crutch, as I will not learn if I always rely on the comfort and security of my native language. That´s not what I am here for. Rather, the polar opposite. I can always say I have experienced a challenge on any given day, but in return I ALWAYS have a moment when I hit an emotional high, which is the greatest feeling in the world. Whether I go through a dinner with my host family and understand(generally)all of what they are talking about, or something funny happens and we all start laughing uncontrollably, or Marta and I have a moment of bonding.. I hit a high and I cannot help but keep a smile or laugh. Last night at the table I reached to get a vegetable from the plate in the middle of the table and on the way back to my plate it slipped off of my fork and into my glass of water, bringing all of us to laughter. Or there is the more frequent joke from my host father Manolo, whether he is picking at his wife or attempting to pronounce a new English word he´s learned.. he truly is the comic relief, much like my father in the States.
Friday night my family and I went to the first Rotary meeting, which I was not prepared for. All we knew was that we were meeting with the other two exchange students t Spain from the U.S., and with our host "tutor", or counselor, for dinner. However, much to my surprise, it was a formal dinner at a 5 star hotel in my host city, where the Rotary meetings take place. And, similar to my host club in Florida, many of the city´s elite are Rotarians. This was the fanciest dinner I´d ever attended, ever. There was a party taking place in another part of the hotel, and all of the people looked like they came out of a movie, dripping with elegance and wealth. So, as our Rotary meeting came about, the three Americans were asked to speak, in Spanish. And we were not exactly prepared. So as Will, Anna, and I attempted to quickly introduce ourselves and thank Rotary, we felt the pressure of these seemingly "elitists" eyes. Later, we were asked about our host clubs in the States and what they did.. this was yet another thing we were not prepared for but tried to explain in our minimal Spanish anyways. We received some laughs and applause for our efforts, meanwhile embarrassed and glad the talking was over. Really though, the host club of Alicante was fabulous and very welcoming, and the dinner was spectacular. I was introduced to so many people and had a wonderful time, despite the humiliating "speech" I made, which I suppose I should have prepared for, hmm, months ago? All I can do is laugh a myself and be more prepared next time. It is all a part of the learning process.
Something I don´t think I mentioned in any previous blogs; everyone keeps their shoes on in the house, or has nice house slippers to always have on no matter what. So I wear my Brazilian Havaianas flip-flops that I got from Dóroty at all times.
Well, I suppose for now that is all. It is a new day, and time to learn some more. I will be calling my mother in an hour and 20 minutes, something I am looking forward to. And later, if the rain stops, the beach.
I hope everyone is doing well.
Besos

1 comment:

  1. The Rotary club here in Jax did the same thing to Doroty. She did well and I am sure you did too. You are brave and courageous to go to another country and get up infront of some movers and shakers of the world and speak, even if it is minumal Spanish! I would probably wilt and die at the podium! I love you so much and am very proud of you!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete